Qatar’s ruling Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on Tuesday said that Qatar faced “unprecedented criticism” over preparations for hosting the 2022 FIFA World Cup, calling them “fabricated and double standards”.
In a televised speech, Sheikh Tamim said that Qatar has been subjected to an unprecedented campaign that no “host country” has ever faced. “Hosting the World Cup is a great test for our country, but I am sure that we Qataris will succeed in this mission,” Sheikh Tamim added.
FIFA awarded the World Cup to Qatar in 2010, and since then Qatar came under question for alleged abuses of legions of low-wage laborers who power Qatar's economy and build its World Cup stadiums.
FIFA has been spending hundreds of billions of dollars in preparation for the tournament scheduled for November 20 in Doha, the capital city of Qatar.
But Qatar had reportedly rejected the allegations and claimed that they have improved migrant worker protection and laborers wage.
“We take all the allegations with good faith because we want this championship to be successful because its success is for all,” Sheikh Tamim added.